Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"Mental" Sensor Walk

One of my first assignments is to do a "sensor walk". This requires observing sensor applications in the every day world. Prior to this, I thought I would do a "mental" sensor walk...To do this, I will just imagine myself heading out from my apartment to my Physical Computing class in lower Manhattan. These are the things that come to mind:

Phone->Push Buttons, Voice Dial, Video Camera, Lens

ATM->Push Buttons

Subway Turnstile->slide card=GO

Subway Doors->Shut but will re-open if opposable force is applied.

Subway Temperature Controls->This might potentially work by having some type of temperature sensor that provides feedback to the heating/cooling system thus regulating overall T of each individual car. I think this might be true as I remember the air conditioning units seem to vary their output.

Subway door sound as doors close->Their is an automatic "ding ding" as doors are closing, sometimes automated voice as well "Stand clear of the closing doors"..I am assuming the conductor presses a button which closes the doors and that this button also triggers the "ding ding" and automated voice.

Horn->People in cars push rather large "buttons" on their steering wheel that results in a loud honk..Lots of this on Houston and Broadway.

Bathroom urinal at NYU Tisch->Sensor that detects my presence at the urinal. This seems to operate such that once I am close an "event" is started. Once I leave the urinal it flushes automatically...This could be interesting...Will probably check this out further.

Elevator Button->I press "^" to go to the fourth floor.