Sunday, October 18, 2009

"Finger" prototype w/servo

Below is my work from the evening of 10/16/2009...My initial effort was to understand and reverse engineer the human hand, specifically a finger. Here is a video that illustrates my final design of the evening that attempts to mimic the functionality of a human finger. This is the first layer of what will hopefully be a part of my group's midterm project in Physical Computing.

My process was to consider what I know about the human hand and attempt to engineer this functionality (or a small percentage of) in the form of an automated finger. As can be seen, I started with a double jointed finger design. This was relatively hard to control and lead to my second iteration which was a single jointed finger that gives the ability to grasp and object when added to an opposable "thumb".